The golf cart battery reconditioning process shouldn’t be complicated. It requires some simple attention to detail. We all know how expensive it can be to keep spending money on new batteries.
It estimates at least over a billion dollars spent on new batteries each. This is big business, isn’t it? That is why many big corporations keep you hiding from the truth. well, I’m about to reveal how to golf cart battery.
Benefits of Reconditioning Golf cart Batteries
As you recondition your golf cart batteries, you will encounter the following advantages.
It is costly to buy a new brand whenever the old batteries fail. Do you know that reconditioning saves you at least 50% of the retail costs? It also prolongs its lifespan to a period of 6 to 12 months.
The electrolyte in the cells has acid with lead contents. By emptying them carelessly, they can destroy the soil and groundwater, which is disastrous to the environment.
Enforce the following tips for safety reasons before you try anything.
- Never drain the charge of the lead-acid completely to prevent the buildup of sulfate salt in the cells.
- Confirm the water level of the battery. Avoid filling the water level to the capacity before you charge to avoid spillage when you begin to charge.
- Ensure enough airflow to eliminate fume build-up.
You will need the following items.
- Sandpaper and toothbrush
- Epsom salt
- Safety goggles
- Battery charger
- Baking soda
- Rubber gloves
- Flathead screw
- Distilled water
Golf Cart Battery Reconditioning Steps by Step Guide:
- Begin the process by wearing protective gear, which includes the apron, gloves, and goggles.
- With the help of the wrench, disconnect the batteries from the cart.
- You can now prepare a solution that involves mixing the two components. The two are the baking soda and distilled water in the ratio of 2:1. Mix them thoroughly to achieve a paste-like solution.
- Using the old toothbrush, dip it well in the water and baking soda solution. Access the battery terminals and brush them to eliminate any corrosion. Suppose corrosion proves to be stubborn, you can involve both sandpaper and steel wool.
- Remove the battery caps with the help of a flathead screw. Locate the bucket and empty the old electrolyte solution into it. Prepare a distilled water solution and 15% Epsom salt. Let it dissolve thoroughly by warming it lightly. Access the new electrolyte solution and refill the empty golf cart cells.
- Using the battery charger, recharge the golf cart cells. The recharging process should last for 12 hours since it will be in the slow mode. The wire connection between the charger and cell should be perfect. Precisely, the red wire should go to the positive terminal while the black one to the negative terminal.
- You can also enhance convenience by investing in a smart battery charger. It is ideal for reconditioning your golf cart battery.
- Perform the load test
Frequently Asked Questions on how Reconditioning Golf cart Batteries
How Will You Identify a Fault in Battery or a Charger?
You can test the charge with another cell to establish its functionality. Alternatively, charge it to full capacity before you tackle voltmeter readings.
Will the Charger Charge My Low Voltage Golf Cart Cells?
The automatic chargers will not charge if the cell is dead. For 36V of golf cart battery, it should have at least 20V and above to get recharged.
What Is the Lifespan of Golf Cart Batteries?
They last between 4 to 6 years.
Can Low Temperature Compromise Golf Cart Batteries?
The low temperature will decrease the charging and discharging capacity.
Final thoughts on Golf Cart Battery Reconditioning
Golf cart battery reconditioning shouldn’t be a rocket science . If you are having trouble to do it, there is a complete guide you can download to get that done.