Battery reconditioning Epsom salt is a cost-efficient and environmental-friendly method if you want to revive and extend your lead-acid battery’s life. But how does it actually work? Here are a few things you need to know about battery reconditioning Epsom salt. If you are looking for the full battery reconditioning guide click here
Benefits of Epsom Salt Lead Acid Battery Reconditioning
Battery reconditioning with reconditioning epsom salt comes with the following benefits:
- Huge Cost Saving: The exercise is useful when you want to maintain minimal costs.
- Earn a Few Extra Bucks: By giving such a service to consumers, you will be earning an income in the process.
- Reduce Wastes: You can recondition waste to assist in minimizing wastes.
Tips and Warnings
While dealing with chemicals, safety should be a priority. Acidic solution and lead materials pose a health risk to the user and the environment. Also, avoid inhaling generated fumes from the battery. An adequately ventilated area is key to your success.
How To Recondition Battery with Epsom?
Tools and Materials
- Distilled water
- Epsom salt
- Baking soda
- Battery load tester
- Sandpaper or steel wool
- Flathead screwdriver
- Battery reconditioning charger
Steps to take before trying Battery reconditioning with Epsom salt:
- Always wear protective gear like the apron, gloves and goggles.
- Disconnect the battery from the vehicle and put it on the working table.
- The battery terminals and remove any corrosion on them. Prepare the baking soda and the distilled water solution in the ratio of 2:1. Mix them well to create a sticky paste solution.
- Dip the toothbrush in the baking soda solution. One should then brush the battery terminals to remove any traces of corrosion.
- Again, you can now use a flat head screw to remove the battery caps. Put the caps in a particular container to make them more accessible.
- Lift the battery gently and empty the old electrolyte solution in the bucket.
- You can neutralize the acid by pouring one pound of the baking soda. Notably, the quantity of baking soda will depend on the amount of the battery solution.
- Prepare an extra distilled water solution and the baking soda. Empty some in the battery cells, close and shake it for at least 30 seconds to dissolve lead sulfate solids.
- Prepare the Epsom salt battery solution by heating ½ quarts of distilled water to dissolve salts.
Using the funnel, empty the Epsom solution into every cell of the car battery. Tighten the car battery caps securely.
- Charge your car battery on a slow charge mode for 12 to 24 hours.
- After the charging period is complete, use the voltmeter to measure the voltage of the battery. If the battery is the right condition and full capacity, the reading should range from 12.4 V to 12.43V.
- Suppose the battery failed to attain the required reading, then you must discharge it. After that, recharge it adequately.
- The final step is to subject the battery on a load test. If you lack one, access any hardware and purchase it. Interestingly, this load test is ever affordable.
Battery reconditioning Epsom salt Myth
Epsom salt has a magnesium sulfate compound that causes sulfation. As a result, sold lead sulfate will build around lead cells. Magnesium sulfate will soften these solids.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q:What Is the Standard Voltage for Battery Charging?
A:The suitable voltage should be 12V. However, you should avoid overcharging it.
Q:How Long Does Your Battery Take to Recharge After You Start the Engine?
A:It takes between 8 to 99 seconds.
Q:What Is the Right Timing When Adding Water to the Battery?
A: Add before you begin the charging process.
Q:Which Voltage Level Indicates That the Battery Is Empty?
A: Anything below 10V indicates that the battery is empty.